Crossed Flags My Confederate Ancestor CSA Seal

(20 August 1838 - 28 October 1914)

You are listening to "Dixie!"

In 1850, William, age 12 years, was living with his father, Isaac Gantt, his step-mother, Sarah, and his siblings in Coosa County, Alabama. In 1857 William married Mary Elizabeth Martin (1839 1920), and by 1860, William and Mary had one child, also named Mary (1859-1913), and William owned a farm of 100 acres in Coosa County, Alabama, near that of his father.

According to the Census or Enumeration of Confederate Soldiers Living in Alabama, 1907, Entry No. 63, William Luncyford Gantt, living near the post office at Ridee, Alabama, was born on August 20, 1963 in Columbus, Russell County, Georgia. He enlisted as a Private in Company K., 34th Alabama Infantry Regiment at Salem, Alabama and served with it until March 12, 1864. The next day, March 13, 1864, He renlisted as a Private in Company A., 46th Alabama Infantry Regiment and continued to serve with it until the close of the war and was then paroled at Soules Berry, North Carolina on May 1, 1985.

After the war, William returned to Coosa County, Alabama, and in 1880, was living in Buyckville, Elmore (formerly Coosa) County, Alabama, with his wife, Mary, and his children: John D. (1861 1938), Loucinda (1864- ) , Hopson (1868- ), Julia A. (1870- ), Charles (1872- ), Edward (1874- ), William R. (1877 - 1941), and Thomas L. (1880- ).

William lived in Buyckville, Alabama until his death in 1914, and was buried in the Lebanon Missionary Baptist Church Cemetary, Buyckville, Elmore County, Alabama.

On 18 November 1896, William's daughter, Julia A. Gantt, married William Powell Ward Jr., and later moved to Bienville Parish, Lousiana. William Powell Ward Jr. was the son of William Powell Ward, also a Confederate Veteran of Coosa County, Alabama.

Gantt Headstone


Regimental Histories

From Willis Brewer's Alabama: Her History, Resources, War Record and Public Men from 1540 to 1872


This regiment was organized at Loachapoka, April 15, 1862. It went thence to Tupelo, and was placed - with the Twenty-fourth and Twenty-eight Alabama, and two South Carolina regiments - in Manigault's brigade, Wither's division. The regiment moved into Kentucky, but was not under fire during the campaign. It was with the main army when it took position at Murfreesboro, and lost very heavily on its first battlefield. The remainder of the winter was passed near Tullahoma, and the Thirty-fourth withdrew with the army to the Chattanooga line.

At Chicamauga the regiment again lost largely in killed and wounded, and at Mission Ridge many of its number were captured. It wintered and recruited for the great campaign of 1864 at Dalton, and began "The Hundred Days' Battle" in the spring. From Dalton to Atlanta, the Thirty-fourth shared fully in the operations of the historic Army of Tennessee, and in the battles of July 22d and July 28th at Atlanta its losses were particularly large. At Jonesboro its casualties were few, but then came the expedition into Tennessee, and though the Thirty-fourth escaped the severest part of the battle of Franklin, at Nashville its already depleted ranks were almost swept away

With the wreck of the army it passed into the Carolinas, where it skirmished at Kinston and lost severely at Bentonville. Consolidated with the Twenty-fourth and Twenty-eighth, about 100 of the 1000 men with which the Thirty-fourth took the field were surrendered at High Point, North Carolina.


The Forty-sixth was organized at Loachapoka, in the spring of 1862. Shortly after, it was sent to east Tennessee, and had several casualties in the fight at Tazewell. The regiment was in the weary march into Kentucky, in Stevenson's division, but did no fighting.

When the army returned to Tennessee, the Forty-sixth was placed in a brigade with the Twentieth, Twenty-third, Thirtieth, and Thirty-first Alabama, under Gen. Tracy. In December, with all of Stevenson's division, the regiment was sent to Mississippi. In the battle of Port Gibson, where its brigadier fell, the regiment suffered severely. A few days later it was engaged at Baker's Creek, where its casualties were numerous, and where half the regiment was captured, including the field officers. The remainder were besieged in Vicksburg, suffering severely, and were captured with the fortress.

Re-organized at Demopolis, with Gen. Pettus in command of the brigade, the Forty-sixth rejoined the Army of Tennessee. It lost considerably at Lookout Mountain and Mission Ridge, and made its winter quarters at Dalton. At Crow's Valley it was engaged, with several casualties. In the almost constant fighting from Dalton to Atlanta, the ranks of the Forty-sixth were thinned and at Jonesboro its list of casualties was large. Marching with Hood into Tennessee, it was one of the three regiments that made the brilliant fight at Columbia, where its loss was considerable. The Forty-sixth lost several killed and wounded at Nashville, and quite a number captured. It was the rear guard on the retreat, and the brigade was complimented by Gen. Hood in special orders for its services there.

Transferred to North Carolina, the Forty-sixth was engaged at Kinston and Bentonville, with severe loss in the latter. Consolidated with the Twenty-third Alabama, with J. B. Bibb of Montgomery as colonel, (Col. Woods was transferred to the Nineteenth Alabama,) Osceola Kyle as lieutenant colonel, and J. T. Hester of Montgomery as major, the Forty-sixth was surrendered at Salisbury by Capt. Brewer, who had commanded it for two years.

From The Confederate War, Coosa County, Alabama


This regiment was organized at Loachapoka, April 15th, 1862, with Julius C. B. Mitchell as colonel. Its first engagement was at Murfreesboro where it lost heavily. At Chicamauga, Missionary Ridge, and in the campaign from Dalton, it shared in the glories of that masterly retreat, where the enemy, though constantly advancing, were ever worsted in the battles fought. It suffered heavy losses, especially on July 22nd and 28th, 1864+ at Atlanta. It was finally consolidated with the 24th and 28th Ala. Regts. It had three Coosa companies in it.

Of Co. A., Thomas J. Mitchell was captain; R. G. Welch, 1st Lt.; W. Floyd, 2nd Lt.; James Carleton, 3rd Lt.; W. E. Young, 1st Sergt.; B. T. Welch, 2nd Sergt.; James Carleton, 3rd Sergt.; V. R. Duncan, 4th Sergt.; At. Z. Davis, 5th Sergt.; S. A. Steed, 1st Corpl.. J. T. Shepherd, 2nd Corpl.; Samuel Nunnery, 3rd Corpl.; S. G. Welch, 4th Corpl. It had 115 privates, 74 of whom were from Coosa, and most of the others from that part of Montgomery north of the Tallapoosa River. Most were farmers. Captain Mitchell resigned, and R. G. Welch became captain, and commanded through remainder of the war. He was wounded at Chicamauga, but is still living, and vigorous. It is not known how many joined this company in all, as only its first roll has been seen. Its casualties cannot be told for the same reason, and the writer has been unable to get help from survivors. This is true of other companies.

Company B. had John N. Slaughter for captain. He was a physician but devoted himself to teaching. Eason B. Wood was 1st Lt.; W. G. Massey, 2nd Lt.; J. C. Taylor, 3rd Lt.; M. S. Bazemore, 1st Sergt.; A. J. Vanzant, 2nd Sergt.; J. P. Barnett, 3rd Sergt.; J. P. Bazemore, 4th Sergt.; J. W. Burt, 5th Sergt.; C. C. Pate, 1st Corpl.; A. J. Groom, 2nd Corpl.; William L. Collier, 3rd Corpl.; J. M. Callaway, 4th Corpl.; S. G. Adams, drummer; F. M. Robertson, lifer; and 98 privates. It was organized at Montgomery, May 26th, 1862. Captain Slaughter was promoted to major upon the resignation of Major Henry McCoy, and Eason Wood became captain. He was captured at Missionary Ridge, and the command fell to Lieut. M. Lambert. Major Slaughter was wounded at Atlanta. He lives at Goodwater. Captain Wood at Hubbard City, Texas. The particulars of the company cannot be given for inaccessibility to records.

Company C. was from Coosa with James M. Willis, captain; John E. Hannon, 1st Lt.; W. G. Oliver, 2nd Lt.; James D. Wall, 3rd Lt.; George W. Spigener, 1st Sergt.; L. W. Jinks, 2nd Sergt., J. T. P. Oliver, 3rd Sergt.; J. S. Edwards, 4th Sergt.; A. B. Blocker, 5th Sergt.; A. C. Fargason, 1st Corpl.; R. A. Collier, 2nd Corpl.; W. H. Spigener, 3rd Corpl.; J. B. Jones, 4th Corpl.; and 88 privates on the first roll. Captain Willis resigned, and Lieutenant Oliver became captain. He was wounded at Jonesboro. No records to consult for further statements.


This was formed at Loachapoka, May, 1862, with M. L. Woods as colonel and Osceola Kyle as the well known gallant Lt. Col. was from Coosa. He was a very fine officer, and had he not been in prison during most of the fighting period, would doubtless have attained to distinction, for he had military talent of a higher order. The regiment was in Tennessee and Kentucky under Kirby Smith, went through the siege of Vicksburg, and was on Lookout Mountain in "The Battle of the Clouds," Missionary Ridge, the campaign from Dalton, and was surrendered in North Carolina. It did its duty well everywhere. At the Battle of Baker's Creek, May 16th, 1863, all its field officers were captured, and kept in prison until near the close of the war. Riggs, its adjutant, was killed at Baker's Creek. From Mav, 1863, to the surrender, 1865, it was commanded by Capt. Geo. E. Brewer of Co. A. Coosa had two companies in it.

Co. A. was from Coosa with George E. Brewer, captain; Daniel J. Thompson, 1st Lt.; John M. Collins, 2nd Lt.; Thomas J. King, 3rd Lt.; T. R. Harden, 1st Sergt.; J. H. Hearn, 2nd Sergt.; J. M. Devaughn, 3rd Sergt.; Francis M. Finch, 4th Sergt.; Francis M. Corley, 5th Sergt.; Uriah A. Darden, 1st Corpl.; D. G. A. Spigener, 2nd Corpl.; Robert Higgins, 3rd Corpl.; Russell Hand, 4th Corpl. There were enlisted 120 privates. There was 1 preacher, 1 teacher, 2 merchants, 2 blacksmiths, 1 saddler, 3 mechanics, and the rest were farmers. The company was mustered in at Montgomery, February 24th, 1862, and did duty from then at Pensacola until it was evacuated in May, 1862. It united with the 46th Ala. Regt. at Chattanooga the latter part of June, 1862. Captain Brewer was detached from the company in command of the regiment from May, 1863, and the company was commanded by Lieutenant Thompson, an efficient officer. Lieutenant Collins was sometimes detached to command other companies because of his efficiency and was for some months the acting adjutant of the regiment, owing to the disabling wound of A. J. Brooks, adjutant. Lieutenant King died July 23rd, 1862, near Powder Springs, Tenn. Micajah S. Booth was elected to the vacancy November 13th, 1862. He died at Meridian, Miss., January 4th, 186S, and Sinclair M. Suttle, who had been transferred from the 13th Alabama, was elected 3rd Lt., January 23rd, 1863. J. M. Devaughn, Aaron Vincent, Wm. M. Johnson, James R. Wilkerson, and Andrew J. Collins were promoted to sergeants, and J. D. Kelly, John N. Cooper, James I. Hill, and Richard A. Foster to corporals for gallantry. The company was formed at Rockford. This was a splendid company, and though several others had larger muster rolls, this company usually had the largest number for duty in the regiment. There were killed and died from wounds 18, wounded 10, died from disease 33, captured 13, discharged 9, deserted 13, but most of them near the close when hope was lost. Perryman Maxwell was a fine soldier though only a boy, and had been on the staff of the regiment, as orderly, for a good while when killed at Jonesboro.

Company B. was also from Coosa with James R. Cross, captain; Joseph T. House, 1st Lt.; J. P. Bannon, 2nd Lt.; James H. Willbanks, 3rd Lt.; Pleasant H. Macon, 1st Sergt.; F. R. Green, 2nd Sergt.; R. C. Singleton, 3rd Sergt.; Isaac C. Blake, 4th Sergt.; J. H. Butler, 5th Sergt.; E, M. Black, 1st Corpl.; W. S. Barrett, 2nd Corpl.; J. E. Scott, 3rd Corpl.; S. D. Bowran, 4th Corpl. There were 63 privates on the roll when mustered in at Brooksville, Ala., on March 6th, 1862. It was recruited from time to time until it became a very large company. There are no records that can be consulted for information. The company was made up of good soldiers, in the main, and a number of its men could be relied upon for the most desperate undertakings. Its casualties were heavy, but cannot be stated with definiteness. A. J. Brooks was detailed from an early period as an orderly on the commander's staff, and was commissioned as Adjutant after the Vicksburg surrender, by request of Captain Brewer, commanding regiment. Lt. Joseph House was detached as acting Adjutant after Riggs was killed, and was killed himself during the siege of Vicksburg while so acting. Upon his death, Willbanks became first lieutenant, and F. R. Green was elected 3rd Lt. Green resigned in the spring of 1864, and W. T. Sears was made a lieutenant. Benjamin F. Hodnett and A. C. Swindell were made sergeants for gallantry. After A. J. Brooks was permanently disabled by wound near Marietta, Lieutenant Willbanks was sometimes detached as Adjutant. A. D. Rope of Company B. and John Lee of Company A. were detached as musicians for the regiment from its early service.

Both these companies were as good as were in the Army, and could be relied upon in times of peril. Lieutenant Collins and A. J. Brooks, with some others whose names are not known now, were among those who volunteered to follow Colonel Pettus in retaking the fort by the railroad at Vicksburg which was captured by the enemy in the memorable general assault of all the lines on the 22nd of May, 1863. When Pettus came up with the reserve forces under his command, this fort was in the hands of the enemy. General Lee ordered it recaptured. None seemed inclined to undertake it. Pettus, after other efforts failed, called for volunteers, when the two named with a few others from the 46th Ala., and a larger number from Wauls, Texas Legion followed the intrepid Pettus, and soon the Stars and Stripes were down, and the Confederate flag was again floating on the rampart.


Link to KISS Websites


CSA Auto Oval